Friday, March 8, 2013

Home canning smoked Salmon

Just as I promised! Here is my home canned Smoked Salmon
I started off with a Brine Here is the recipe.
See all the steps below the picture


This is the salmon after it sat overnight in the brine. We rinsed it, patted it dry and set it outside to dry for about an hour.  It was a cold day so the temperature wasn't an issue.

This is the inside of our smoker.  The salmon was smoked until it reached and internal temperature of 150-160 degrees

The salmon is smoked and cooled.  

Cut the salmon to fit the jar and pack with skin side to the glass. Leave 1 inch head space.

There is no need to add any liquid

wipe the rim of the jars with vinegar and place the lids and bands on.

This is what they looked like after they processed in the pressure canner for 100 minutes at 10 pounds pressure

Here is my lunch the next day!  Just to make sure it wasn't too salty, I rinsed it again and warmed it up before I added it to my salad.  Topped it with vinegar and oil dressing and a little Parmesan cheese.
All home canned salmon should be heated through before eating.

4 comments:

  1. Is the salmon dry after the canning process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how long to prosses the smoked fish for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should pressure can salmon 110 minutes at 15 lb pressure

      Delete
  3. I find when I pressure up to 15 psi and it turns the fish really dark! Doesn’t change the taste, just the color!

    ReplyDelete