Sunday, March 31, 2013

Home canning jelly from bottled juice

OK folks, this is the next best thing to hit home canning since.....I don't know when, but its great!  and, ok, it hasn't just hit its been around for a while! If you love to make jelly and jam like I do, but you don't like to deal with juicing fruit, try bottled juice! I had already made grape and apple jelly from bottled juice and wanted to try another juice.  I like Pomegranates so I thought "why not?"  I followed the recipe for grape jelly found in Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving  I simply substituted pomegranate juice in place of the grape juice. 

This is what you need: 
  1. pomegranate juice 3 cups, no added sugar
  2. pectin 50 grams
  3. sugar 4 1/2 cups


Below I will take you through the steps to make pomegranate jelly.  Find a juice you like and make jelly.  Let me know how it turns out!  REMEMBER! make sure to buy 100 % juice with no added sugar.
add pectin to juice
whisk to dissolve pectin
bring to a boil
add sugar all at once
stir, bring to a hard boil, continue the hard boil and stir for 1 minute

remove from heat scrape off foam on the top
fill jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. this made about 6- 8 oz jars
wipe the rims with a wet paper towel
place lids and bands on and tighten to finger tip tight
place jars in a waterbath canner, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes
turn off heat, remove lid and let sit in pot for 5 minutes
using a jar lifter, remove jars from pot and set on a towel.  Wait for them to seal ( you will hear a ping sound) label and store in pantry.

This worked great and I can't wait to try out another bottled juice!

Happy Home Canning,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment